digital converter box -- surprising performance

Roger Kirk rogerkirk@ttlc.net
Wed Jun 18 09:24:14 EDT 2008

Robert S Chase wrote:
> What I don't understand is when they have a cable go down like that
> why they don't bite the bullet and start to pull fiber out to the
> subscribers instead of keeping the outmoded copper pairs?
Perhaps because they will still have to provide power over copper at the
subscriber's premises.  Now, instead of relying on just the central
office big bank o'batteries,  power must be derived locally to the
subscriber.  Necessitating either another set of batteries or when local
power dumps, the subscriber is out of luck.  Many people rely on POTS
for a reliable, low-tech connection between the CO and their alarm systems.