128

Garrett Wollman wollman@bimajority.org
Tue Jun 3 11:51:23 EDT 2008

<<On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 10:47:02 -0400, "Dan.Strassberg" <dan.strassberg@att.net> said:

> Isn't there a federal regulation that limits multiple route sineage on
> Interstate highways to Interstate route numbers? That is, I don't
> think you can have multiple route numbers on Insterstate highways
> UNLESS ALL of the routes are Interstates.

Not true.  See the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices
(mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov) for the full details.  (The MUTCD requires that
Interstate designations be signed first, in numerical order, followed
by U.S. Routes, followed by state routes, followed by county routes.)

<opinion>
The "128" situation is a result of the FHWA's northeast district
office inventing its own rules rather than applying the national
standard.
</opinion>

Please direct further followups to private email or
misc.transport.road as we are getting far afield from broadcast media
here.

-GAWollman