that horrible BEEP

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Mon Jan 21 00:06:32 EST 2008

On 20 Jan 2008 at 9:01, Dan.Strassberg wrote:

> Capital Cities started in the Capital District (and indeed was named
> for it) and WROW was its very first station! WROW got a TV CP, which
> initially resulted in the construction of Channel 41 (now Channel 10
> et al). In those days, it was cutomary for radio and TV networks to
> affiliate with commonly owned radio and TV stations in most markets
> where they existed.

I don't know when it became Capital Cities, but while I was there, up
until May 1957, the company that owned WROW was called "Hudson Valley
Broadcasting," and that was how they answered their phone.

> IIRC, WROW-TV (which was later renamed WTEN after
> it built the Channel 10 facility in Vail Mills) initially became the
> CBS-TV affiliate. It was thus fitting for WROW (AM) to be the CBS
> Radio affiliate.

My recollection is that WROW-TV was not originally a CBS affiliate.
When we moved to the area in late November 1953, WROW radio was still
an ABC affiliate and WROW-TV had just come on.  It may have been an
independent station or it may have been nominally an ABC affiliate.
Just after the start of 1954, I saw an ad in the paper proclaiming
that it really was a happy new year because Channel 35 would soon be
on the air.  It would be WTRI and would be a sister station to WTRY
CBS.  That meant that Channel 35 started as a CBS affiliate.  Channel
74, WMGT was a separate station with its own programming, possibly
with a DuMont affiliation.  At the time, however, whatever the
affiliations of the UHF stations, WRGB, although an NBC affiliate,
also carried many programs from the other networks, often by delayed
broadcast.  I recall that they had Ed Sullivan's show on Friday
evening and Jack Benny on Sunday afternoon.  At one point Bishop
Fulton J. Sheen's Tuesday night show on DuMont was also on Sunday
afternoon.  Space Patrol, an ABC program, was carried live from the
network on Saturday morning at 11:00.  Some of CBS's weekday
afternoon shows were also carried on WRGB.

I don't remember whether it happened at the same time as the radio
shift, but at some point WROW-TV began to advertise itself as the new
CBS affiliate (despite all the CBS shows on WRGB).  WTRI at that
point went off the air for awhile.

Finally, I believe in 1956, WTRI returned as an ABC affiliate.  By
that time, WROW-TV had become WCDA channel 41 and WCDB, channel 29,
and WMGT had left the air.  I believe it had already shifted to
Channel 19 before the fire.  I'm not quite sure the timing of its
return as WCDC, but I suspect it might have been motivated at least
in part by the demise of the DuMont Television Network.

In 1956, when WTRI came back on, there was a general reallignment of
programming, and all CBS programs moved to WCDA etc. and ABC programs
still being carried on WRGB moved to WTRI (with one exception I
remember:  I was surprised to discover that Art Baker's "You Asked
For It," which was WRGB continued to carry, was an ABC program).