Scary news about the analog TV phaseout!

David Moisan dmoisan@davidmoisan.org
Fri Feb 1 21:31:24 EST 2008

The boxes approved for use in the coupon program are required to have
NTSC RF outputs, so no additional "external connectors" will be needed
beyond - MAYBE - a $2 balun to convert the 75-ohm coax connection to a
300-ohm twin-lead connection for really old sets.

Reading between the lines of the NTIA recommendations, it seems most manufacturers will put the balun in the box.  That said, I've owned some old sets and even when I got my sets out of dumpsters as a poor apartment dweller in the late eighties, it was becoming unusual to find sets of that era with only 300-ohm terminals or even any 300-ohm terminals.