WJIB

markwa1ion@aol.com markwa1ion@aol.com
Sun Jan 28 11:33:04 EST 2007

That's about my observation about WJIB's night coverage as well.  Once
you get the big hill (Belmont Hill / Wellington Hill) in your way as
you head west on Route 2 beyond the big Mormon temple, the signal gets
a bit choppy.  That would be about 4 or 5 miles from the tower.  Over
the flatter terrain going south across Cambridge and the Charles, they
probably get a bit farther into Allston and Brookline.  Despite the
small area covered, it still reaches a lot of people.

Once in a while you get an "auroral night" when most skip interference
is eliminated.  Then WJIB's 5 watts covers a bigger "box": that
bordered by Norwood on the SW, Billerica on the NW, Beverly on the NE,
and Cohasset on the SE.

A 3 Hz beat note (a.k.a. "subaudible heterodyne") is what Dan is
observing between CHWO and WJIB.  Certainly that's within legal spec's
but, yes, it's annoying when you have two similar-strength signals.
But then, the clash of competing audio would be too.  CHWO and WJIB are
both good stations for the nostalgic-music fan (on a band where this
format has reached "few and far between" status).  It's too bad that
they happen to be on the same channel.

Mark Connelly - Billerica, MA

<<
In Arlington Heights, on my SRIII, rotated to maximize the signal
strength
of WJIB (which happens to about null WKOX, WAMG, and WBIX), WJIB is
pretty
good on maybe 2/3 of nights (actually 2/3 of the time, because a night
that's good for receiving WJIB at, say, 8:00PM.can become pretty awful
by
miidnight or vice versa). OTOH, the frequency difference between WJIB
and
CHWO, which is usually about 3 Hz (or do I mean 1.5 Hz?--three signal
minima
per second), is pretty annoying. For me, the frequency difference seems
have been chosen to maximize the sensation of vertigo.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367