Wee Eye

Chuck Igo chuckigo@maine.rr.com
Wed Aug 22 11:44:49 EDT 2007

>> ----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Nelson" <raccoonradio@mail.com>
True, though I do like the fact that ESPN can provide play by play
of baseball playoffs. What I'm wondering is, suppose you're in
the Portland area and the Big Jab stations have the rights to the Sox...
the Sox make the playoffs (if the season were to end today,
their first round opponents would be the Seattle Mariners
who currently lead the wild card). Yes, you'd get Sox playoff
coverage via the Sox network (Sox-Mariners), but would the new Nassau
stations that pick up WEEI be able to carry the games as well
via ESPN? <<

kind of works that way now with Patriots Football - network coverage via
WestwoodOne and Patriots Rock Radio Network Coverage via 'BCN.  WW1 stuff
airs on 970 WZAN and Gil &Gino are aired on WBLM.  granted, WW1 doesn't
carry every Pats game, but WZAN does make a big deal of it when it does.
additionallly - the nat'l network trumps the local network when it comes to
playoffs and "the big game" (as we're not supposed to mention how super the
bowl might be...)

most times, folks enjoy the hometown flavah over the network.  and the
network announcers have to be more "balanced" in their descriptions - so
that whole "favoring" the "otherteam" thing is less desirable to listen to
as opposed to the fair and totally unbiased calls of the hometown crew.

but, if the National Network (ESPN, WW1, whoever...) has the exclusive
rights - then the championship games/series are the exclusive domain and
aired only on that affiliate.  it's a bonus for the other "little guy" who
nabs the network version and the local team is involved in the big finale.

- -Chuck Igo