It's not WEEI vs. WCRB - it's WEEI *and* WCRB

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Thu Aug 16 23:18:47 EDT 2007

Sean Smyth wrote:

> Say 99.5 does go sports. Does that mean classical is done on Boston
> commercial radio? I can't see 104.9 returning to classical. 99.1 would
> seem the only other commercial option.

I would imagine that classical would show up on someone's HD2 - 102.5,
perhaps, just to close the circle and provide a full-market signal?

I would also imagine, though, that there'd be cause for one of the
noncomms to take up the slack. It's not at all impossible to imagine
WGBH mustering the resources to buy a smaller commercial signal - WFNX
comes to mind here - and take that classical as a noncomm. (If, of
course, Mindich ever wanted to sell, and there's no sign of that.)

If Entercom wanted to blunt the PR impact of "killing" WCRB, perhaps it
could offer WGBH the 97.7 signal at a reasonable price? It hasn't seemed
to move the needle very dramatically where WAAF's ratings are concerned,
at least not that I've seen, and it's already at the same site as 89.7...