Chicago share timers

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sat Aug 11 15:12:33 EDT 2007

Thanks for explaining the 1240 Chicago call letters. It appears that the
original WEBH (AM) must have been somehow connected to the station that is
now on 820 in Chicago. Didn't the Pre-NARBA 810 become today's 820? The 820
station has had several sets of calls in recent years but I think is best
known as WAIT, which may or may not be the current calls. Except for a brief
period 10 or 15 years ago when it operated nights until it lost its Tx site,
the 820 station has been a daytimer (limited-time actually--signing off at
Fort Worth--WBAP, and before that WFAA/WBAP--sunset). I think that the 820
station, which now transmits days from the WXRT (FM) tower on Chicago's
North Side, again holds a CP for night operation using a new CoL (Willow
Springs?) and 1500W from a six-tower array outside the Chicago city limits
southwest of the Loop. At one point many decades ago, the FCC forced the
Chicago 820 station (it was probably still on 810 at that time) to share
time with a station that had the calls WCBD licensed to (I think) Zion IL.
As I've heard the story, WCBD then bought out WAIT and operated during its
entire boradcast day as WAIT using WAIT's transmitter site and Chicago CoL.
Chicago absolutely has some of America's most interesting radio history!

Here is an interesting, apocryphal story about the Chicago 1240 trio.
According to the story, when Fred Eyechaner's NewsWeb Corp bought out WEDC
and WCRW and merged them into WSBC, NewsWeb kept all three licenses for
quite a while and MAY actually have used all three transmitter sites during
different dayparts. Since WSBC's format is multi-ethnic, the speculation was
that WSBC used whichever site delivered the best signal to each program's
target ethnic group. However, when the licenses were up for renewal, the
FCC's position was, "It's one station now, so pick a site and use it
full-time. An auxiliary site is acceptable but you can't use it
routinely--only when there is a reason--such as tower maintenance--not to
use the main site. Surrender the two licenses that you aren't using."

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367