Imus canned by MSNBC

Rick rickajho@rcn.com
Thu Apr 12 12:14:44 EDT 2007

A. Joseph Ross wrote:

> On 11 Apr 2007 at 20:38, Roger Kirk wrote:
>
> > According to R&R,  Classic Hits WSBG/Stroudsburg, Pa., (Nassau
> > Broadcasting ) morning man Gary Smith was fired for using the words
> > "I'm a nappy-headed ho" as the "phrase that pays" on the "Gary in the
> > Morning" show" yesterday.
>
> Funny I haven't heard any mention of the FCC coming down on the
> stations which broadcast those tasteless remarks.  Apparently
> anything goes as long as people don't get a fleeting glimpse of
> someone's bare breast.

Well, if you break it down and pull out your dictionary neither "nappy",
"headed", or "ho" is a swear word. And that's probably where the FCC
draws the line. If Imus had included an expletive in the phrase I'm sure
the FCC would have been all over it. Appparently the FCC has a very
technical definition of what's offensive and what isn't...

Rick