Delays on live coverage

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Mon Sep 25 03:02:20 EDT 2006

It's not just HD that causes delays.  Where I am, I can listen to Red
Sox day games on three different stations, WEEI, WTAG and WEEI-FM.  All
of them have different length delays.
Unlike HD, these are regular delays added so that the producer can edit
out any profanity before it hit's the air.  WEEI-FM has the shortest--a
couple of seconds--while it's simulcast partner WEEI has an 8 second
delay.  WTAG varies.  If they shut it off when switching to the Sox
from regular programming, it's only a second or so.  If they leave it
on, it's more like 6 to 7 seconds.   Add in HD to all this and it makes
it virtually impossible to sync up radio programming to TV.  Plus,
after the Janet Jackson Super Bowl incident, doesn't TV stations have
their own delays as well?

Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"