New England, The Patriots and We

Chuck Igo chuckigo@maine.rr.com
Tue Jul 4 16:45:24 EDT 2006

Bob recalled of the hype leading up to 1/26/86...
>>I remember (barely) some song parodies that came out (maybe via Eddie
>>Andelman?) at the time. One of them was set to the tune of the Irish
song "McNamara's Band" and it was "Oh, my name is Raymond Berry, I'm the
leader of the Pats/Ask (name of team) if we are a bunch of old
doormats/Oh, we've Lippett and Tippett and..." etc.
Another was set to the New Orleans tone "My Toot Toot": "Don't mess with
Tatupu/ Whatever you do, do/He'll make you bear stew, stew..." Recently,
one of the playoff teams--Seattle, I think?--had a player named Lofi
(IIRC) Tatupu. Mosi Tatupu's son.<<

The "Raymond Berry's Pats" (MacNamara's Band) was Tom Doyle with HDH's
"Brucie & The Benchwarmers," and the single was actually pressed to
vinyl (45rpm).

Not sure on the other one, but "Brucie and the Benchwarmers" (Bruce
Cornblat) did the majority of the sports' song parodies you might have
heard on 850 WHDH (We Hate Designated Hitters)

--Chuck Igo