WBZ's new 'style'

Scott Saloway scott@saloway.com
Sat Oct 1 18:32:05 EDT 2005

Because 22 minutes is just enough time to keep people so they count towards
two 15-minute periods for ratings purposes.

Even though the news blocks start every 20 minutes, you have to keep
listening for at least 2 more minutes to get the headlines and traffic.
That puts you "in the know" after 22 minutes.

That's why WINS is the self-proclaimed most-listened-to radio station in
the US. Its cume is through the roof from a program clock that encourages
people to keep listening for those extra 7 minutes.

Scott

At 12:21 PM 10/1/2005, Paul Anderson wrote:
>On Sep 30, 2005, at 12:07 PM, Ed Hennessy wrote:
>
>>Yesterday AM around 5:30 I heard a promo that stated "You give us
>>22 minutes, we'll give you the world!"
>
>I've never understood why WINS specifies 22 minutes, since their news
>blocks start every 20, not 22, minutes.  It makes even less sense for
>WBZ, since their blocks start every 30 minutes.
>
>If you counted the brief list of headlines at :18 and :48, that would
>still mean that I would give WBZ 20 minutes, except if I wanted
>sports, I'd still need to give them 30 minutes.
>
>"The newswatch never stops" and now "give us 22 minutes".  What's
>next for WBZ?  A teletype machine bed during the news?
>
>Paul

Scott Saloway
General Manager, WSIA
College of Staten Island