WCOP circa 1961 aircheck

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Tue Mar 15 16:31:09 EST 2005

I'm sure Kaiser-Globe took the little AM because Mr Lyman wanted out of
station ownership and offered the three properties on an all-or-nothing
basis. It was probably a case of don't take the AM; no sale. It was probably
also a case of keeping the AM on the air being cheaper, when all costs were
considered, than trying to sell it. Ultimately, though, they DID sell it, to
Wickus Island Broadcasting, right? And if you recall, that involved quite a
fracas. This is how I remember it; somebody should check my "facts," because
they may be fiction!

I believe the first buyer who stepped to the plate was a minister who wanted
to program Black gospel music. However, the locals jumped in and insisted on
a buyer who would provide programming oriented to the local community, and
they got the FCC to reject the application for transfer of control.
Ultimately the protesters formed their own company, Wickus, which bought the
station. But when Wickus went belly up several years later, a minister (same
one who tried to buy the station earlier? don't know) DID buy it and DID
program Black gospel. Bob Bittner bought the station when the minister went
bankrupt.

I don't know how much of this story Bob knows, because it all happened
before he even bid on the station in bankruptcy court. But maybe Bob or
Donna (who worked at WCAS) or Scott can provide an accurate history.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367