[B-R-I] Re: WFPB Can Be Heard Clearly North Of Boston

Kaimbridge M. GoldChild Kaimbridge@programmer.net
Sat Jan 8 15:42:26 EST 2005

The esteemed Laurence Glavin from Methuen wrote,

> U-Mass Boston's AM repeater, WFPB-AM 1170 in Orleans, MA usually
> has very little signal north of Boston.  It's a directional station
> that currently protects WDIS (as in dismal) in Norfolk.
          <snip>
> Anyway, at this very minute, 12:55 pm est 01/08/05, WFPB
> is quite audible north of Boston.

Yup, same here, up in Beverly--with the radio aimed in the right
direction, WFPB is probably 5-10 times stronger than normal (about
equal to Quincy's WJDA-?)!

> Can a directional station "accidentally" go NDA, or
> might they be doing something with one tower so they're
> using the other in non-directinal mode?   Inquiring minds
> wish to know.

This happened before, several years ago (back when they were
// 104.7, which was "regular" AOR or Top-40), and stayed that way
for--IIRC--several months.
Perhaps an auxiliary xmtr?

     ~Kaimbridge~

-----