Al Franken Cambridge Show NOT Open To The Public

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Sun Oct 31 13:18:58 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Bill O'Neill <billo@shoreham.net>
To: Laurence Glavin <lglavin@lycos.com>
Subject: Re: Al Franken Cambridge Show NOT Open To The Public
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 16:30:43 -0400

> I find it very difficult to believe the attention Franken is getting. He
> stopped being funny when he once proclaimed,
> "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog gone it, people _like_ me."
> A brilliant comedy/sketch writer.  I don't remember when he ever became
> relevant to political discourse, however.  I've given it a shot checking
> out his medium market sounding show on the Burlington affiliate.  And
> I'm a patient man!
>
> I know how important it is for AA to make it as a network.  I also know
> that if the network can't make a go of it during the most divisive
> election cycle in recent memory, then, 'Oh, waiter...'
>
> For Franken's sake, I hope he remembers his roots.  His humor and radio
> need not be mutually exclusive.
>
> Bill O'Neill

I went to a public appearance he made at a church in Harvard Square (concerts
and lectures are the only times you'll find me in a church) in mid-October, 2003.
A huge crowd showed up (it WAS open to the public, and the Fire Department
of the Peoples Republic had to call a halt to allowing more people in).
I did manage to get a seat (being slender of build I fit into one of the
pews), and during the next 90 minutes Al gave not only good political
lecture, but show-business-savvy comedy.  He could have gone another hour
and not worn out his welcome.  Setting aside ideology,
the guy's good.  Incidentally, I also saw the C-span tete-a-tete
between Al and Bill O'Reilly, that ended with the host of
"The O'Reilly Sphincter" yelling "you've had your 35 minutes,
now SHUT UP!"  The untold story of that kerfuffle is the fact
that Franken had the audience in the palm of his hand for that
length of time.  Just a little pro-Al spin.
(Hoping to see hime in Maine if not Mass.