Cities where a format dominates?

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Tue Oct 5 01:29:18 EDT 2004

At 10:53 PM 10/4/2004, David Tomm wrote:

>Not to be outdone, Miami has nine stations with at least a one share
>running a Spanish language format.  Los Angeles also has nine Spanish
>stations.  Those are the most glaring examples I can think of off the top
>of my head.

Spanish is a language, not a format. That's like saying Los Angeles (which
is where I'm typing tonight) has 23 "English language format" stations.

Look at the demographics out here - and in particular, the growing
diversity WITHIN the broad stroke of "Hispanic" - and if anything, the
Spanish-speaking population here is probably underserved, in a radio
stations per capita sense, compared with the Anglos. (Also true of Miami.)

English-speaking audiences get news, talk, sports, religion, and all sorts
of music ranging from oldies to AC to more contemporary formats. Why should
Spanish-speaking audiences get any less, at least when there are as many of
them as markets like LA now have?

s, on a fine Southern California evening