Accepting the Nomination

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Tue May 25 01:32:00 EDT 2004

On 24 May 2004 at 16:40, Laurence Glavin wrote:

> Speaking of that, another "tradition" long-forgotten
> was the practice in the early years of the Republic
> of disseminating the "State of the Union" speech
> via messenger, rather than outright oratory before
> a joint session of Congress.

That went both ways.  Washington and Adams delivered their addresses to a joint session of
Congress.  Jefferson started sending it in writing because he thought the oral address
smacked of the King's Speech from the Throne at the opening of Parliament.  I forget
whether the oral delivery was revived by Wilson or Roosevelt.