What they heard on CNN

Bill O'Neill billo@shoreham.net
Sat Jul 31 14:15:15 EDT 2004

> That may be a good thing for a political party, but it's not clear
> what relevance it has to a broadcaster making a choice about what to
> cover.
>
> -GAWollman

Agreed. A pundit tried to explain the benefits of the protracted convention by
describing the "back room" stuff that happens (read: open bar).  The reporters
on the floor, were once adorned by low band wireless headphones with 35 foot
antennae atop their noggins, amidst "states" where there was real action,
dissention and deal making going on.  Now, with the chic but useless sets CNN
passed around to guests and anchors, and the whole process one mega-infomercial,
the floor reporters looked woefully out of place and irrelevant.  The event,
outside of prime, was little more than a convenient backdrop for regular
programming on cable nets, all replete with convention ad buys.

I was glad VPR b'cast most of the evening convention activity.  I worked late a
lot last week in my office and got more out of NOT seeing the action.
Especially Hillary & Bill's awkward intrusions.

Bill O'Neill