WCRB surprise

Laurence Glavin lglavin@lycos.com
Wed Apr 21 18:06:09 EDT 2004

>DATE: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 01:42:34
>From: "A. Joseph Ross" <lawyer@attorneyross.com>
>To: boston-radio-interest@rolinin.BostonRadio.org

>I was quite surprised this morning to hear a symphony on WCRB by Freidrich Wilhelm
>Herschel, better known as Sir William Herschel, and discoverer of the planet Uranus.  I knew
>that Herschel was a musician who did astronomy at night as a hobby (until his discovery
>won him an appointment as court astronomer to King George III).  What surprised me was
>that WCRB departed to that extent from its usual playlist.  I've done my share of criticizing
>WCRB in this forum for its pop-radio style tight playlist, so it's only fair for me to cheer when
>they do something nice.
>
>The symphony was in the style of Mozart and Haydn, since it was a product of its time.  But
>it was pleasant to listen to and deserves to be in WCRB's regular repetoire.
>
>--
>A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                           617.367.0468
> 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 lawyer@attorneyross.com
>Boston, MA 02108-2503           	         http://www.attorneyross.com

Actually, it wasn't a departure from its playlist.  I
used wcrb.com's "What Did I Hear?" feature and found
that the piece aired twice in the past thirty days
before you heard it today:
3:41 pm on March 26th and 12:28 pm on April 3rd.  That's
pretty often for such an obscure composer.  Between the
200 or so "classical favorites", WCRB lards its schedule
with reams of forgotten and obscure works by forgotten
and obscure composers.  Here is just a partial list
of some of them: Aufschnater, Kozeluch, Pisendel,
Kjerulf, Smethergell, Zachow, Scheibe, Pla and Wagenseil, all noted in just a search of a few days.
This all 18th and early 19th century stuff that has two
advantages:  it SOUNDS classical to the uninitiated with
its sewing-machine rhythms and tinkling harpsichords;
and it's SHORT, allowing beaucoup commercial breaks.
So don't worry...you'll hear the Herschel piece again soon!