WAAF Worcest..errr... Westborough!

Nostaticatall nostaticatall@comcast.net
Thu Nov 20 10:05:53 EST 2003

The time frame I was referring to was 1997-1998, but your accessment of
WHEB in the late 80's was pretty much the case in the late 90's as well.
 Don't get me wrong--WHEB was a servicable mainstream rock station which
at that time leaned heavily on the classic rock.  During this period,
WBCN often pulled in a three or four share, and I remember them placing
4th overall 12+ in Portsmouth a couple of times--not bad for an out of
market signal.  Sure, some of the numbers were fueled by Howard, but not
all of them.  WCYY also used to place as well, although they never did
as well as WBCN.  If you looked at the 12-24 and 18-34 male numbers,
those were the demos that sought out a more current intensive rock
station.  When 96.7 was simulcasting WAAF, the request lines there were
forwarded to WERZ after business hours (when I was on the air), and I
took a LOT of calls from younger rock listeners.  They were reacting
positively to having a "kick ass" rock station to listen to, and didn't
have to put up with the "dinosaur rock" on WHEB.

Roy was right though, WHEB was leading the market (or at least was
second to WOKQ,) but with a local 50,000 watt signal, a heritage morning
show, and at least fifteen years in the rock format, they should have
been.  Still, they sounded old, and I don't blame the younger rock
listeners back then for wanting a current based station to call their own.

Mike Thomas