Insurance company spots (was: American Top 40 Theme)

A. Joseph Ross lawyer@attorneyross.com
Wed Dec 24 00:16:12 EST 2003

    On 23 Dec 2003 at 11:15, Larry Weil wrote:

> >Not to ask a stupid question, but why can't you run State Farm or
> >Allstate commercials in Mass?
> >Does the state ban insurance company advertising?
>
> No, it's because those companies don't sell in Massachusetts anymore. It's
> at the request of the companies that their advertising not air in Mass..

This reminds me of something I didn't quite understand at the time, but back in the mid-
1950s, when I lived in the Albany area, every Wednesday, WRGB in Schenectady would
blank out the national commercials on Howdy Doody in favor of local commercials.  This
apparently was because Wonder Bread and Hostess Cupcakes was the sponsor on
Wednesdays, and they weren't sold in the Albany area.  I suspect that was also the reason
that WRGB didn't carry Howdy Doody when it moved from weekdays to Saturday morning in
1956.