Springfield listener: Radio never warned me

Paul Anderson paulranderson@charter.net
Tue Jun 7 12:29:59 EDT 2011

On Jun 7, 2011, at 10:34 AM, Mark Laurence wrote:

> A Springfield resident tells the Boston Globe she never heard any tornado warnings, just a Boston talk show, on her local Clear Channel talk station.

I called a friend that day who lives in West Springfield.  My cell phone call reached his voice mail and I left him a message asking if he was OK.  He did call me back in a few minutes, wondering why he was stuck in traffic on US 5 near the Memorial Bridge.

He had been listening to the Yankees game on WHLL Springfield (former WMAS) and had no idea about what had just happened blocks from his house and about a mile from where he was.

Wasn't _anyone_ on duty at WHLL/WMAS-FM (owned by Citadel) to break in with some information about a tornado that passed within blocks of the studio?

Paul