WWBW 96.9

Dave Doherty dave@skywaves.net
Thu Mar 18 00:44:33 EDT 2010

WWBW-LP is the actual call sign, indicating that it is an LPFM station.  The
rules are quite different for LPFMs, which are secondary services and have
no particular signal requirement for their claimed city of license.

For a prototypical LP-100 station operating over smooth terrain, the 60dbu
contour falls at less than 6km from the transmitter site, and most LPFMs
don't serve their 60dbu.  Assuming smooth terrain, WEHN's interfering signal
at the WWBW-LP transmitter site is on the order of 48dbu. That means that
the interference-free contour of WWBW-LP is about 68dbu, which is a coverage
radius of about 3.5km.

So Higganum might be a huge stretch, but not an illegal one. The transmitter
location is governed by 47 CFR 73.853. Within the top 50 urban markets, the
applicant - or a local campus, branch, or chapter - must be located within
10 miles of the transmitter; or 75% of its board members must reside within
10 miles of the transmitter.  Outside the top 50 urban areas, the 10 mile
limits increase to 20 miles.

LPFM stations must accept interference from full power stations such as
WEHN.  The FCC publishes two distance separation limits for LPFM - a minimum
distance that would protect the conflict from receiving interference with a
20km buffer, and a greater distance at which the LPFM would expect to
receive no interference from the conflicts at its 60dbu contour.  This is
all published  in 47 CFR 73.807.

For easy access to all current US Code of Federal Regulation (CFR) titles,
access http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov. Most of the FCC rules are in Title 47.
Broadcast rules are in Volume 4, Part 70-79. Radio rules are in Parts 73 and
74.

And WYCM is 90.1 in Charlton, MA.  WYCM-LP is in Ashaway, RI.  Different
owners, so presumably they have an agreement of some kind.

-Dave Doherty
 Skywaves Consulting LLC
 PO Box 4
 Millbury, MA 01527