Camden Maine station off the air due to storm damage

revdoug1@myfairpoint.net revdoug1@myfairpoint.net
Tue Mar 2 00:25:11 EST 2010

I lived in west central Maine for over 30 years until my recent move to
the coast.  The lack of adequate MPBN signal coverage in Somerset and
Franklin Counties is something I used to complain long and loud about
until I realized it was fruitless; no one at MPBN was listening,
despite the fact that I and other complainants were supporting members.
  Neither the 91.3 signal from Waterville nor the 90.1 from Portland
nor the 90.9 from Bangor can be picked up very well north or west of
Skowhegan.  When the Camden station went on the air several years ago,
it only obviated the fact that MPBN's core supporters are the wealthy
folk on the midcoast: the placing of a transmitter in Camden was
principally a sop to them.  The subsequent proposed closing of the
Calais station (in Washington County, Maine's poorest region) only made
that more glaringly obvious.

I remain an MPBN supporter, because its programming is one of very few
alternatives offered against the dreck that characterizes much of Maine
radio.  That having been said, however, I have to add that while MPBN
purports to serve ALL of the State of Maine, it does not.   The Class C
transmitter atop Sugarloaf is exactly what's needed, and if MPBN's
trustees were really serious about their mission, they would find a way
to see it built.

-Doug