Boxford pirate's coax cable cut

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@mail.com
Tue Sep 22 10:56:41 EDT 2009

The pirate at 87.9 out of the Boxford/Georgetown area, The Wave, is apparently operating at reduced power because
according to a radio-info.com post by the man who allegedly runs the station, someone cut his coaxial cable and
damaged his transmitter. Perhaps once he gets it fixed it will again reach the wide area it was covering.

Psst, sir: You need a license.

Maybe the FCC will grant more LPFM licenses to our already crowded dial (though it may be less crowded up his way,
who knows) and I hope any "pirate" would go the "official" route. After all, who's to say that someone down the street
can't just put a station at 87.9 or 88.1 and cause him interference? Hey, it's a free country--can't we all just
put radio stations on the air? Oh, I forgot...long ago, there was an act to create the Federal Radio Commission,
now the Federal Communications Commission, to regulate just that problem. (Now, I don't know--is broadcasting
at 87.9 okay now?)

I remember a few years ago when a friend of mine contacted the FCC--he could no longer hear WMBR's
"Lost and Found" at his home in Methuen because a pirate went on the air. They were soon shut down.

But hey, who needs a license anyway?

Now, if this man does have an LPFM license, then forget what I just said. Who knows, maybe he does...?

Maybe nobody--especially the adjacent WMBR--will complain and he will continue to broadcast. After all he's a bit
far removed from Cambridge...