WBZ cuts Leveille, Cuddy, Dyett, poss. Desmarais

Mark Laurence marklaurence@mac.com
Thu Jan 1 14:17:23 EST 2009

On Jan 1, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Sean Smyth wrote:

> On Thu, 1/1/09, Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com> wrote:
>> I'm increasingly glad I got out when I did. I can't imagine
>> I'd be having a very good time at 1170 Soldiers Field
>> Road these days, assuming I still had a job there, which
>> seems increasingly unlikely, considering.
>
> It's amazing how two vital mediums (print journalism, broadcasting)
> are killing themselves off through repeated job and budget cuts,
> thus driving away audiences and not serving the customer very well.
>
> Of course, the issues are slightly different, with the everything-
> for-free Internet serving as a common denominator.

The biggest common denominator is merger-driven corporate debt.
Everyone is hurting to be sure, but the companies in the worst
trouble are those who borrowed their way to the top.  Since that is
pretty much everyone at the current top, it's hard to distinguish
them from the rest of the business, but they are the ones who are
most fiercely cutting their way into the dumpster.