Is WBZ AM-TV the only AM combo left in NE

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Mon Nov 17 13:24:47 EST 2008

I am more than 96.9% positive that the 96.9 was owned by General
Electric when it moved its studios to Commercial Wharf, began a
beautiful music format, and changed its calls to WJIB (FM). Back then,
GE was into owning radio stations in a pretty big way. The company
also owned KFOG (FM) in San Francisco, which also had a beautiful
nusic format and more-or-less nautical calls. In fact, of course, fog
is more connected with San Francisco than jibs are with Boston. I
can't recall whether the WALE calls, which are nautical and have a
regional connection with New England, were in use when 96.9 became
WJIB, but the chances are that WALE was safely ensconsed in Fall River
and unavailable for use in Boston even if GE had wanted the call sign.
Of course, back then, I doubt whether the "songs" of whales had yet
been recorded, and even if they had been, it seems unlikely that the
general public had heard about them--much less heard them.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367