WMUR

John Andrews w1tag@w1tag.com
Fri Mar 21 14:52:41 EDT 2008

Maureen,

<I understand that the Telegram & Gazette put in for channel 5 in
Worcester but I'm not sure if they got as far as the CP...>

The Worcester T&G did indeed have a CP for Channel 5 shortly after WWII.
The principal problem has already been pointed out: the allocations were
dreadfully short-spaced, and resulted in an unusually low ERP (25 kw if
memory serves)for a Paxton-based Channel 5 transmitter site. The signal
into Boston would not have been great. This triggered a secondary issue
of convincing any of the potential networks to allow an affiliation
where Boston would be under-served. A third (amazing) issue was that
WTAG-AM was a CBS radio network affiliate at the time, and CBS was
convinced that the VHF channels would be forever monochrome, with their
"color wheel" system being headed for UHF.

The network problem resurfaced with two later T&G UHF applications, both
of which were withdrawn.

The Paxton building was designed at the end of the Channel 5 process,
and the large empty space toward the back was reserved for a
hypothetical color UHF transmitter. To my knowledge, no TV equipment was
ever present or even ordered.

John Andrews
(former CE of WTAG-AM) (and like Sid, WSRS-FM <g>)