report: NBC to sell Hartford, Miami TVs

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Thu Mar 20 11:01:13 EDT 2008

Richard Chonak wrote:
> On 03/20/2008 07:45 AM, Kevin Vahey wrote:
>>
>> WMAQ had a spectacular on air meltdown a few nonths back during the 10
>> PM news causing them to go to MSNBC for the news.
>>

> That's not an ideal replacement for a straight newscast, as MSNBC's
> evening schedule consists of opinion, analysis, and debate shows.   At
> 10pm, they have Keith Olbermann's show.   But for an NBC affiliate,
> MSNBC seems to be the fallback option.

It was slightly worse than that, even - this was 10 PM central, 11 PM
eastern, which meant they went to MSNBC in the midst of the "Doc Block"
- reruns of "To Catch a Predator" and "Lockup."

But it's better than going to black, I guess.

And in fairness, WHDH had a meltdown of its own not long ago that
knocked out a newscast. As complex as today's TV stations are, it can
happen whether MCR is local or a thousand miles away.