Newspaper survival (was: Can Citadel Broadcasting survive?)

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Mon Mar 3 13:32:52 EST 2008

Don't count on it.  Like many other businesses, car dealerships are
using TV and radio to drive customers to their websites.  I bought a
new car last year and never even thought about picking up a paper,
and I'm over 40.  In the Boston area most of the dealerships are
chain-owned (Ira, Herb Chambers, Bernardi, Boch, Clair, etc.) and
each has an extensive web presence.   I just googled a couple names
and in no time I was searching inventories for the car I wanted.
Even the small local dealerships have websites that are easy to
find.  Search sites like Cars.com and Vehix are also helpful.  No
need to check out a paper.  Even older Americans are using the web to
search for cars.  My dad did not too long ago and he's almost 70.

If Ira continues to thrive without using print advertising, which it
should, the other regional chains in the area will follow suit.  That
may be enough to drive some papers out of business in a very short
period of time.

-Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"