Newspaper survival (was: Can Citadel Broadcasting survive?)

Sean Smyth sean.smyth@yahoo.com
Sun Mar 2 21:47:12 EST 2008

kvahey@comcast.net wrote:
> Pat Purcell has been reported to have put the Herald's land in the
> South End up for sale.

Purcell sold the land last year to a group that includes him and some
real estate developers. Once he works out an arrangement to print the
paper elsewhere (possibly on Morrissey Boulevard), the newsroom will be
out of there, that's my take on things.

kvahey@comcast.net wrote:
> In Chicago the Sun-Times is about to go under. Granted they were
> robbed blind by Conrad Black but they have in the past few weeks
> contracted with the Tribune to print and distribute the paper
> including home delivery. The paper itself is expected to be bought by
> Drew Singleton and look at how he has slashed the Lowell Sun and
> Berkshire Eagle.

Dean Singleton has done much slashing and burning in many markets. A
big part of it is that he's overleveraged and may have the banks
calling for him soon. I doubt he's buying the Sun-Times.

To address Scott's message a bit ago: There are a number of multi-paper
markets where the papers themselves are separately owned.
Joint-operating agreements don't cover the ownership of the newspaper;
in each case, separate companies own the newspapers -- for example,
MediaNews owns The Denver Post and Scripps owns the Rocky Mountain News
-- and also jointly own a company that manages non-newsgathering
functions (classifieds, other advertising, distribution, finance, etc.).