WTAG and Ice Storm

Dave Doherty dave@skywaves.net
Mon Dec 15 23:28:57 EST 2008

CC takes it on the chin for a lot of stuff, but I think they do a far better
job than they are given credit for in the area of emergency preparedness and
reaction.

Scott and Donna have covered the Katrina and 9/11 responses well, so I won't
go into that.

I was in Austin for NAB Radio shortly after Hurricane Ike destroyed much of
the Galveston area. A big portion of the convention center was taken up with
refugee aid.  I ran into Troy Langham from CC Headquarters, who I know
through AFCCE. He had driven down from Tulsa in a truck equipped with a
generator and a spare transmitter, and he was actively looking for an
off-air station he could loan this equipment to.

In the case of WTAG, as in any organization, individual initiative counts
for a great deal. The WTAG guys were able to go on the air because they had
working emergency generators at both the studio and the transmitter, and
they therefore had an available venue. They _went_ on the air because they
felt the need.

38 years ago, I was a young station employee when a severe winter storm hit
the Albany area on a weekend around Christmas. I think it was the weekend
between Christmas and New Year's, but it really doesn't matter. What did
matter was that we got over 3' of snow overnight and some places got a lot
more. WGY was the Big Kahuna in the market, and my employer, WOKO (1460) was
a 5kW wannabe. In those days NBC provided the Monitor program on weekends,
and WGY apparently had no announcing staff in the building. I lived not far
from the transmitter, and I managed to get there in my Dad's VW. The phone
was ringing, and I did just what the WTAG guys were doing the part few days.
I passed along info about who needed heating oil, where the power was on or
off, who needed medical attention, who had a 4WD (rare in those days) and
could assist in getting people to shelters, and so on.  Meanwhile, WGY was
on the network, oblivious to the emergency.  WOKO got several awards for
that.  Nobody told me I had to do it, I just did it.

Ironically, WGY is now a part of the CC empire, and in a similar emergency I
believe that today they would respond much more like WTAG has been doing.

-d