College Radio Today

TVNETDUDE@aol.com TVNETDUDE@aol.com
Mon Dec 8 13:06:25 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/8/2008 12:02:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
boston-radio-interest-request@tsornin.BostonRadio.org writes:

I was  surprised at the Oregon student's confidence:

> ?At the end of the  day your friends might not be there, your job might not
be there,? Ms. Diamond  said, ?but radio will always be there. And it?s
really cool to have something  you can depend on.?

It's hard to know what this means, if  anything.

It sounds as if the reliable existence of radio will be a  source of
consolation to her in future adversities, in the way most of us  look to
God, our countries, our families, and our  philosophies.

Surely she is not so vapid: after all, she is a public  policy major!

Is she hoping that the intimate experience of radio will  endure?   That
it will be the experience of a listener taking in  a presentation
artfully and personally crafted by a producer and presented  by on-air
personalities?   In commercial music radio, that's  gone and she knows
it.  And who's to say that college radio will  survive: I can readily
imagine most colleges de-funding their student  outlets in hard times.

So what does she mean?   That radio  will remain a piece of comfortingly
familiar technology?  I can add  to her consolation by assuring her that
the book, as a media technology,  will also endure, at least for the rest
of her life.   In its  current form -- the codex, the bound folio -- it's
been around 1600  years.  That makes me feel pretty good about it.

And it's true:  there will be something we can call radio: audio streams
will be available  through portable devices.   We can expect even more of
them:  with portable internet devices already available in our cell
phones, and  probably more convenient in the future.

But radio will no longer be a  common social experience, a source of
shared popular culture.  I can  listen in my car to an internet stream
from somewhere in France and you  can listen to the reggaeton channel on
the satellite, and never the twain  shall meet unless, God forbid, we
collide.

So what about radio is  going to last?

And what on earth is she trying to  say?

--RC

Wow. I never knew a simple comment could be so over-analyzed. How about a  19
year old kid, because that is what she is, making a comment about how  she
felt about radio at that particular moment in time.

 I think what she was saying is that life today is so uncertain, and  in her
young mind, radio would always be there. Nothing in  life will always be there
and that includes us.

Mike