DTV issues

Dan.Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sun Dec 7 17:48:12 EST 2008

So would the way to record DTV signals be to buy a DVD recorder/player
without a tuner and connect a DTV-to-NTSC converter box to it?
Clearly, this would lead to lower-than-DTV-quality recordings, but if
you really wanted to view something that was broadcast at the same
time as you were watching something else, the approach would seem to
be better than nothing. Also, if your were using over-the-air signals,
would you have to have TWO antennas? Seems like it.

BTW, the answer to these questions is of more than academic interest
to me. I have a DTV receiver in the room where I watch most of the TV
that I watch and a converter box for my old analog TV in the kitchen.
I still have a VCR (it's in the room with the DTV) but I have not
attempted to connect it, much less use it, since I bought the
converter and the new TV. I would like to have the VCR capabilities if
I could have them without jumping through too many hoops. I imagine
that having the VCR capabilities would involve buying a DVD
recorder/player, but maybe they would involve use of the VCR instead.

-----
Dan Strassberg (dan.strassberg@att.net)
eFax 1-707-215-6367

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sid Schweiger" <sid@wrko.com>
To: "boston Radio Group" <boston-radio-interest@lists.BostonRadio.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2008 5:14 PM
Subject: RE: DTV issues

>>Here's a question.  Someday I may want to get a new digital TV set.
Will my analog VCR and DVD player play through a digital TV?<<

Play?  Yes.  Record?  Probably not.  The few current models of VCR are
being sold without tuners, because it's considered a nearly-dead tech
by the manufacturers.  DVD recorders would need a digital tuner, and
so far I haven't seen any that have it.

The few digital TVs I've seen have at least one regular set of line
inputs (video, audio-L and audio-R) and one set of 480p
color-separated inputs for a DVD player (labeled Y, Pr and Pb).