[BrooklineTMMA] Brook House devolves to Boston University discussion...

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Jun 24 01:44:56 EDT 2007

On 23 Jun 2007 at 11:19, Lisa Liss wrote:

> BU is not yet the colossus that Harvard is, but BU and
> it's overflow of students into Brookline and Allston is rapidly
> changing Brookline from a family town to a college campus, as Lois
> Martin has told us,and how it affects our quality of life.

This has been going on to some extent for a very long time.  The mass
evictions of families in order to crowd in students and raise the
rents was one of the triggering factors in the adoption of rent
control in Brookline in 1970.  The greater influx of students into
various neighborhoods is to some extent a result of the abolition of
rent control, which held rents steady and encouraged owner-occupancy
of two- and three-family houses.

 92 State Street	                                  Fax 617.507.7856
Boston, MA 02109           	         http://www.attorneyross.com