What Happened To WKZE-AM?

Laurence Glavin lglavin@mail.com
Tue Oct 10 17:12:12 EDT 2006

On past trips to western Massachusetts, upstate NY and NW CT, I've
noticed that the town of Sharon, CT had an AM outlet operating at
1020 khz.  I've only rarely tuned it in directly, I mainly  observed
that it caused splatter on WBZ's signal during the day.  My travels
this past weekend took me to the northwestern corner of CT (a
state marked by innumerable lawn signs reading "Vote for JOE").
I passed s sign reading something like "11 miles to Sharon"...
I didn't enter Sharon, but I flipped to 1020 and much to my surprise
found SILENCE!  WINS-AM 101 and WBZ-AM 1030 wre variously receivable,
but not WKZE-AM.  The FCC website lists it as a currently licensed
station;  was it taking the holiday off?  The last time I remember that
happening was when Simon Geller operated WVCA-FM.