Pet Peeves - Nor'easter Definition

Todd Glickman radio88@radio88.net
Sun Mar 12 14:27:50 EST 2006

Here's the official definition of a "nor'easter"
from the Glossary of Meteorology, Second Edition
(American Meteorological Society, 2000), Todd
Glickman, Managing Editor
(http://www.ametsoc.org/pubs/glossary_index.html):

nor'easter-Common contraction for 'northeaster.'

Then hyperlinking to 'northeaster,' we find:

northeaster-(Commonly contracted nor'easter.) A
northeast wind, particularly a strong wind or
gale.
Two well-known examples are the black northeaster
of Australia and New Zealand and the 'northeast
storm' of the east coast of North America.

Further hyperlinking to 'northeast storm,' we find:

northeast storm-(Also called northeaster,
nor'easter.) A cyclonic storm of the east coast
of North America, so called because the winds
over the coastal area are from the northeast.
They may occur at any time of year but are most
frequent and most violent between September and
April. Northeast storms usually develop in
lower-middle latitudes (30°-40°N) within 100
miles east or west of the coastline. They
progress generally northward to northeastward and
typically attain maximum intensity near New
England and the Maritime Provinces. They nearly
always bring precipitation, winds of gale force,
rough seas, and, occasionally, coastal flooding
to the affected regions.

Thanks to Steve O. for bringing up one my pet
peeve, "skies." Yes, there's only one.

My other favorite is "shower activity."  Singing is a great shower activity :-)

By the way, did you know there's no such thing as
a "thundershower"?  Indeed, if either lightning
is seen, or thunder is heard, then it's a
"thunderstorm," period.  It's a popular
misconception that a "thundershower" is a less
intense "thunderstorm."  Even long-term TV/radio
meteorologists make this mistake.

Don't get me started on "daylight SAVINGS time."
Leave off the last 'S' for SAVING.