WMGX Portland to Flip Formats

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri Mar 10 12:43:28 EST 2006

AFAIK, WTAO's original studios were right where WJIB's studio is
today--except the address has changed slightly. It used to be 439 Concord
Ave (a short walk from Fresh Pond Circle and not too long a walk from the
Alewife T station, which wasn't there back in the day). This is also the
transmitter site. The current address is 443 Concord Ave. Bob Bittner told
me that, after he bought what is now WJIB (AM), he picked 443 from a fairly
lengthy list of street numbers (including 439) that the building occupies. I
suspect that he didn't pick the more historic 439 simply because he didn't
know that the station had used the other street number for many years. From
the Concord Ave side, the building looks the same, except for a few coats of
paint, as it has looked ever since I moved to Boston 50 years ago. Inside,
I'm sure it has changed quite a bit. As you say, it used to house Harvey
Radio Labs and now it's a self-storage facility. I have a feeling that the
transmitters are not located in the exact spot in the building where the
original transmitter was located, but if you follow Scott Fybush's tower
Site of the Week, you know that there are very few stations that have had
the same transmitter site for decades but have not changed the locations of
the transmitter within the building--usually when they have installed newer
transmitters.

Over the years, the 740 station--under several different call signs--has had
several different studio locations, all in Cambridge. It isn't at all
strange, though, that the studio location the station has occupied more than
any other is at the transmitter site.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367