LaPierre on the loose...on the beach?

SteveOrdinetz steveord@bit-net.com
Thu Jan 15 21:55:31 EST 2004

  Pete Ferrand wrote:

>I don't see it as an ethics issue so much as an issue of trust and
>allegiance. Due to LaPierre's long history with his listeners, there was
>an expectation of what he was doing and where he was. If that is broken,
>it just gives the listener the image that the station and LaPierre and
>radio in general just doesn't give a damn. And that will be reciprocated
>by the listener.

I just don't see what the big deal is about.  The news is the news.  Why
does it make any difference whether the anchor is in the studio or if he's
1500 mi. away?  How does this translate into not giving a damn?  The
Accu-weather people do their reports via ISDN from somewhere in Pa.  Does
that make their forecasts any less accurate?  Elliot Abrams seems to get it
right at least as often as Don Kent ever did.  Most listeners just don't care.

>It's like a Nestle bar that people buy for years. If the price goes up,
>people grumble but know it's inevitable. If the price stays the same but
>the bar gets smaller while the package stays the same except for the
>weight marking, when people find out they feel taken advantage of and
>annoyed...even though obviously the maker adhered to the law and didn't
>misrepresent the weight.

I don't get the analogy.  The news isn't being downsized by not having the
anchor in the studio.

>As to out-of-market "pretend local" music and talk shows, since they
>don't really build up a lengthy expectation of anything in anybody, what
>I've seen when listeners are told the jocks are from 700 miles away is,
>"ok, so what?". Most of their "local" content learned via the net is so
>mindless it doesn't really resonate to the point anyone cares.

I've worked with plenty of jocks who had no local content or any
relatability to the community yet were sitting in the studio doing their
shift live.  Indeed, contributed nothing to the show except for keeping the
chair warm for 6 hours.  Reading a 6 hour old weather report that says
"becoming cloudy this afternoon" at 8pm with it pouring rain or reading
liner cards promoting an event that was over 3 hours ago.  How is this any
better than having someone who actually has talent, but is in another
city?  Maybe we should go back to playing carts & 45s?

>-Pete
>Enfield, NH (who hopes never to work, live, or otherwise have anything
>to do with Florida, the surrounding states, or anywhere else with a
>similar climate)

Hey, we agree on one thing here!