Will Boston Stations Accept XM Ads After This

Steve West stevewest106@hotmail.com
Wed Jan 7 20:26:34 EST 2004

>I've heard spots for XM Satellite radio on WRKO-AM,
>so I wouldn't be surprised if they also air on other
>Entercom outlets.  I don't specifically recall hearing
>XM spots on any other Boston radio stations, but it's possible.

I find that strange, since over a year ago,  Entercom said it wouldn't be
airing any spots for satellite radio.  Clear Channel I expect to since they
are an XM investor.

>Now, as rronline.com and other sites have reported, XM
>will be offering local continuous weather for selected
>markets.  Boston's is supposed to start April 1st (no kidding).
>Can something like Metro news be far behind?  Was it
>Lenin who said that capitalists will sell the Bolsheviks
>the rope they'll use to hang them (the capitalists)?
>If any Boston area station accepts XM ads now, it could
>amount to nearly the same thing.

The way I understood the satellite radio concept as it was conceived and
discussed around the government types back around 1990, this was not
supposed to be a local service at all... in fact there was so much flap in
the beginning over them even using terrestrial repeaters for signal
continuity that it seemed the two services might not even launch.  As we
know those objections were overcome.

Now today comes news that both services will be adding new channels and the
above mentioned local weather service, and even video.  Here's a scenario
for you.  What if, much like DirecTV, XM/Sirius offer full-blown local radio
channels based upon listener's zip codes?  Would then Kiss 108, Jamn and
even WBZ 1030 feel the heat?  What's to stop them?  XM says they will have
about 130 channels of programming later this year.  And I'll be listening on
my Sony XM receiver (gang, it really IS better than FM)

Thoughts?

Steve West
www.airchexx.com
www.99x-fm.com