New Travel-Info station 96.5FM

Rod O'Connor rjoc@webtv.net
Sun Jan 4 14:50:33 EST 2004

Was down in the Calais ME/Saint Stephen NB area a few days ago. While
driving into Calais from Meddybemps along  US Route 1 observed new signs
"Travel Info Tune to 96.5FM"
Sure enough there was a brand new TIS type station giving all sorts of
useful and helpful info. Local weather updates, Traffic and road
advisories, Eastern/Atlantic Standard time checks and reminder to adjust
clocks ahead when crossing into Canada. Also a convenient feature of
waiting times at Customs on both sides of the border, updated every few
minutes with a computerized voice.

This is probably the same station that Scott mentions in last week's
NERW that is being applied for.  They sure didn;t waste any time!

Never did hear any Call-Letters, just Saint Stephen  Information Radio.
Power was probably about 50 watts or so. Could easily hear it 5 miles
out of Calais and Saint Stephen, although it was totally gone by the
time I got to Saint Andrews NB, 15 miles south.

And, I forgot stop by South Street in Calais and see if the WQDY AM
tower is still standing.

Rod O'Connor
Southwest Harbor, Maine