Clear Channel to enhance radio ads with RDS

struff's stuff stuff@struff.com
Fri Jan 2 11:07:28 EST 2004

At 10:49 AM 1/2/2004, it was written:
>If I'm not mistaken, the Feds have required auto makers to only display
>the 8-character "station ID" field on RDS radios.  There is usually a
>button you can press to scroll the "info" field -once- and then returns to
>the ID field.  I think this took effect with 2003 model year.  Don't know
>if aftermarket manufacturers are subject to this same ruling.

Mine is a 2002. It used to only give the superfluous info on CC stations
until a few months or so ago, when there was some news about CC upgrading
or changing to a different type of RDS system (I forget the actual
details). It was somewhere around that time when they started adding the
extra info on the main screen, *without* having to press the Info button.

In addition to WHEB and WGIR in NH, Boston's Kiss-108 is messed up, too. I
often see things like "..Outkast" or "Timberlake" on the main screen. Many
times those will stick on the display long after the song ends and through
several subsequent songs that have nothing to do with the artist being
displayed. A push of the Info button returns "No info" when it should be
displaying the call letters or name or slogan or song detail (which is the
way it works on every non-CC radio station).