A "Legal" 99.9 For Lawrence?

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Thu Jan 1 20:01:00 EST 2004

<<On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 11:02:47 -0500, "Bill O'Neill" <billo@shoreham.net> said:

> I find it interesting that any unauthorized users aren't simply shut down as
> soon as they are discovered.  Seems like a clear cut example of a federal law
> violation.

The FCC honestly doesn't care about pirates, unless they give cause
for a licensed broadcaster (or the FAA) to complain.  The FCC field
enforcement officers have enough to do as it is, with all the recent
mandates, and they are a great deal more pragmatic than some of the
people on this list, not to mention their bosses at The Portals, about
the potential for sharing of spectrum.

Vince did come once and shut down a Framingham pirate that I
complained about, which was operating with about 100 W on 87.9 from a
church downtown.  It probably helped that I Cc'ed the engineering
departments of channel 6 and WMBR, both of which would have had
standing to complain.

-GAWollman