Clear Channel to enhance radio ads with RDS

Larry Weil kc1ih@mac.com
Thu Jan 1 11:38:53 EST 2004

At 10:59 AM -0500 1/1/04, Bill O'Neill wrote:

>Gotta admit, unless they integrate the radio so that the "dial" is amidst the
>guage cluster, it does make for an odd turn of the head.  Bigger downside is
>radio simply can't afford to lose any more listeners than it has already.

But they'll keep losing listeners if they continue taking away
diverse formats, as recently happened with WBOQ.  Yea, I know, the
lowest common denominator thing, while the wal-marts and other
big-box stores appeal to that crowd, there are still numerous
successful specialty stores.  Without the specialty stores (formats),
overall radio listening declines, and eventually people look for the
alternatives to the big box stores, and if they don't find them in
radio, they'll find them in satellite or at the local CD store.
After all, can you buy a new car that does not come equipped with a
CD player?

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH