Re: XM Receivers

At 02:19 PM 11/7/2002, you wrote:
>A business associate of mine is looking to buyan XM receiver.  Several
>found on the internet are touted as "XM-READY"  - what does this mean?
>
>Any recommendations?  Horror stories?
>
>Roger

No recommendations, but "XM ready" usually means that the receiver will
need to be signed up for the service and will require an additional antenna
to be connected to it when you do sign up.  Other than that it's ready to
get XM service whenever you are.  Most of those models of "XM/Sirius-ready"
receivers were released prior to the actual launch of the satellite
service, so these days I would think it's not worth it to get a "-ready"
model; just get a receiver that does it, period.

BTW - currently there is no mandate for receivers to get both XM and Sirius
signals, but in a few years (2005 I believe - can anyone confirm) the
receiver manufacturers are going to be required to make receivers that can
get both.  Given that both XM and Sirius aren't doing too well in the
finances dep't, and there's some real questions about their viability as
separate entities, I wouldn't get too excited about getting a satellite
receiver today.

As a side question, does Blaupunkt make a receiver that has SHARX DSP
technology, will play MP3-filled CD-R's (not audio discs, just CD-R's with
100 or so MP3's on it) **and** can receive XM and/or Sirius?   Now THAT'D
be boss if they did...

Aaron "Bishop" Read       aread@speakeasy.net
Fried Bagels Consulting   www.friedbagels.com
AOL-IM: ReadAaron         Brighton, MA 02135