Re: Coverage of Clinton scandal (was Call me "Cache")

On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Rick Kelly wrote:

> Well put, Bill.  And there is a legitimate issue about the coverage.  A
> big one for me is the coverage of the embarrassing details of the affair
> as reported.  When is the time gonna come when my seven year old son asks
> me about some intimate sex act that he heard about on the TV or radio?  I
> mean, the media does not seem to be very discrete here.  How has Howie
> Carr been hankling this?  I can only imagine... yechh!

This whole thing reminds me of the coverage, back in 1964, of the arrest
of Walter Jenkins, an aid to President Johnson, at a YMCA in Washington,
DC.  The Y in question was reputedly a hangout for what we now call gay
people (that term was not in common use then), but the euphemisms were
such that I'm not sure I ever quite caught what he was arrested for.

It also occurs to me that back then, the Bobbitt story would not have been
covered at all.  Or if it had, it would have been couched in such vague
terms that we would have had trouble figuring out what she cut off.

And finally, it occurs to me that if the current political and media
climate had existed back then, John F. Kennedy would have been driven from
office before whoever-it-was could have gotten a chance to asassinate him.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/