Re: News v. Radio

>Given the news desert on radio, particularly in PM drive, I wonder if
>listeners are even missing it?

Those radio listeners who want news in PM drive can get it from at least
two sources in the greater Boston area - WBZ and WBUR.  Both have decent
signals throughout most if not all of the area.

If music stations were to start running PM drive news again, for no
better reason than "it's good for you", odds are good that most of their
listeners would tune elsewhere.  The expectation now, for better or worse,
is that each station serves its own niche, and if one wants a different
niche at a particular time, it can be found elsewhere.

"Full service" radio is dead, dead, dead.  Has been for a long time now.
Can't say I really see any good reason for it to come back, either.

- -Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu