Re: Quebec City

At 10:34 AM 9/8/98 EDT, you wrote:

>Went up to Quebec City over the weekend.  It just occurred to me that Quebec
>City, a quite large city,  HAS NO AM STATIONS!   They all moved to FM.  There
>are about 10 FM's there, but not a single AM station.     The car radio scan
>will only stop at 800 and 980 (from Montreal).

What is the distance from Montral to Quebec? CJAD should be inaudible in
Quebec. There used to be an AM 800 in Quebec (CHRC? 50 kW-U DA-2) that CJAD
had to protect. Before CKGM moved to 990, the same was true on 980; CKGM had
to protect CBV on 980 in Quebec (50 kW-U DA-1--I think). I can believe that
CKGM on 990, which runs 50 kW-U and has a fairly narrow pattern pointed due
north, would be quite audible in Quebec at night. Not so sure about daytime,
though.

>----BTW,  740 Toronto, whoever gets it, WILL directionalize it, which will
>most likely reduce interference to WJIB.

Although it would make sense, why are you so sure? Do you know for a fact
that the CBC has sold the site? They are unlikely to do that as long as CJBC
is using it. Also, finding a suitable site for a directional AM in Toronto,
and getting the necessary environmental approvals could take a lifetime.
Then, too, I'm not sure what effect, if any, WTOR would have on the use of a
site on the south shore of the lake. I think that there would be normally
prohibited overlap between 740 and 770. But since they are in different
countries, the overlap may not count.

(617) 558-4205; Fax (617) 928-4205