Re: "The Live Five"-- what's in a name?

On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Donna Halper wrote:

> Evidently, it all started after Norm Prescott joined WBZ in September of
> 1955, which also marked the transition from network (which ran mostly soap
> operas and variety shows)  to personality d.j.'s who played pop music.
> Soon, WBZ hired other well-known local "platter spinners" and began running
> print ads with the term "The Live Five".  But before that happened, a
> competitor had beaten them to it.  WORL was already doing the same format
> that WBZ wanted to do.  WORL had Alan Dary, Dave Maynard, Norm Tulin, and
> Hank Elliott playing the hits--  and they were called "The Big Four".  When
> WBZ decided to jump into the music & personality game, they obviously
> wanted to go WORL one better-- if WORL had the "Big Four", WBZ would offer
> "The Live Five."  And now you know... the rest... of the story.

And both Alan Dary and Dave Maynard moved over to WBZ.  I remember Alan
Dary on WBZ and also hosting "Boston Movietime" in the afternoon on
channel 4.  I watched the beginning of "Boston Movietime" every afternoon
(I think it started at 4:45 PM or something like that) because it always
started with a Popeye cartoon.

 A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                                         617.367.0468
 15 Court Square                                      lawyer@world.std.com
 Boston, MA 02108-2503                       http://world.std.com/~lawyer/