Re: Opie & Anthony prank

I don't approve of the prank at all.  It was clearly tasteless and
inappropriate, but I have to point out that even untruthful statements are
protected by the First Amendment.  (The President can even lie under oath and
get away with it.)  I don't think any FCC action is appropriate and a lawsuit
would be a waste of time because Mayor Menino is a public figure and would
have a very hard time proving damages.  We shouldn't be so quick to look to
the government to redress all grievances.

The appropriate action would be for listeners and advertisers to boycott the
station until appropriate action (firing) is taken against everyone involved.
(Including those in management that obviously approved the prank.)
Unfortunately, in today's society, the station may actually end up benefiting
economically from the publicity, which I think is unfortunate.

The company that I work for (Saga) has a strict written policy against any
pranks like that could cause harm or public concern.  Also, any April Fools
pranks of any kind must be approved before airing.  I wonder if most radio
companies have such a policy?

Dan Billings
Bowdoinham, Maine